Veliko Turnovo, Bulgaria
The Republic of Bulgaria is an European Union (EU) member state. It is located in Southeast Europe, on the crossroad between east and west. The Bulgarian language uses the Cyrillic script, which is one of the three official alphabets of the EU. Bulgaria is renowned for its millennial history, culture and established traditions in higher education. Many young people speak English fluently.
The city of Veliko Turnovo or Veliko Tarnovo [vɛˈliko ˈtɤrnovo] (Велико Търново) is located in the heart of Bulgaria, which makes it possible to travel to other Bulgarian and European cities easily. You can reach the city quickly by bus or train. The major Bulgarian airports (Sofia, Varna and Plovdiv) are about 220 km away. The distance from Veliko Turnovo to the Bulgarian Black Sea coast is about the same.
Veliko Turnovo is a city with ancient history and culture. As a medieval capital of Bulgaria, the city has preserved its spectacular architecture with ancient narrow streets and picturesque old houses, perched near the Tsarevets castle. The city is the centre of traditional Bulgarian crafts. Here you can also relish traditional Bulgarian cuisine.
St. Cyril and St. Methodius University of Veliko Turnovo
Timewise, the University of Veliko Turnovo is the second Bulgarian university and the first one out of the capital city of Sofia. It is located on the historic Sveta Gora hill. The University is considered to be the successor of the renowned Turnovo School of Letters, set up by Patriarch Euthymius in the 14th c. Nowadays the University of Veliko Turnovo is a well-known centre of education and research both at home and abroad. The diplomas issued by the University are recognized both in the EU and the whole world.
The advantages of the University of Veliko Turnovo
- The University of Veliko Turnovo has been a leading Bulgarian public university for more than half a century. Traditionally it has ranked high in Bulgarian University Ranking System.
- The university has 12 000 students in 9 faculties and 1 college. The university campuses are located in three cities.
- The university is a leading centre in the humanities and foreign language teaching. You can choose between 20 of the world’s languages taught at the university.
- The University of Veliko Turnovo has a wide range of international contacts. It has been extensively involved in a number of bilateral and EU-funded programmes. The international student community at the University is constantly on the increase.
- Within the Erasmus+ programme the university has more than 220 partner universities in Europe. Within the bilateral programmes the university has more than 80 partner universities from all over the world.
- The University offers a wide range of student exchange options with leading universities in Europe and the rest of the world. Students are also offered internship and traineeship options as well as career development options.
- The University has a stimulating learning environment: libraries, foreign language labs, sports facilities. The Sveta Gora park lies in close proximity to the University, well-equipped with sports and recreation facilities.
- The University offers up-to-date educational programmes, a number of which are taught in English.
The University of Veliko Turnovo enjoys the peace and quiet of the city it is situated in. The city of Veliko Turnovo breathes with the university rhythm. Living here is cheaper than living in other European and world cities. Depending on whether you’ll be living in the university halls of residence or you’ll opt for private accommodation, your monthly expenses will be between €200 and €300. You can stay at the university halls of residence and have meals at the student cafeteria.